Sunday, January 6, 2013

Today was weird.


Today was weird.  It’s Sunday, so it’s common to see most people (read: men) of age getting drunk or already hammered. What was uncommon, was that fact that everyone seemed to be drunk and caked in an odd looking white powder, kinda like Pablo Escobar came back to life and decided to dump his stache on everyone in Montepuez. In reality, it was probably like flour or something, but it’s more fun to think otherwise.

I still don’t really know what was going on.  I heard a word that I think sounded like Ncoma, but I can’t be totally sure.  Doesn’t matter though, cause I really have no idea what that means anyways.  I think this weekend had something to do with initiation rites though, because I’ve been hearing drums beating all night long.  This is a huge cultural event across Mozambique that I’m still learning about.  Apparently, word on the street is that unless you’ve been through it, you aren’t allowed to know what goes on.  For males, it definitely involves circumcision.  For females…well I really, really hope it doesn’t involve circumcision. I’ll let you know when I learn more.

Today was also special though.  Today, I planted a banana tree.  Over the last four week I’ve been pretending to be a farmer.  I think I’m actually doing a good job.  I planted corn a while back, and wouldn’t you know it but it’s starting to sprout!  In a few months, I should be able to harvest something.  Other than my new baby, I’ve got six struggling basil plants that I transplanted into my plot, a future pineapple bush (bush?) growing roots in a glass of water, mango seeds being sundried out back, a half-assed compost pile (it’s a work in progress), plans to lay out a perma-garden, and some grass growing in my front yard (round two, the first round was not successful).  I also bought a ton of seeds in the market the other day (I’ve got a seed guy now named Chaban…he’s my hook, yo), and am excited to plant them too when the time is right.  Problem is, I just don’t know when the time is right.  Maybe now?  Maybe later?  Meh, guess I’ll have to ask my Zimbabwean friend.

In other news, school starts in a week.  Electrified and panicked; both are how I’m feeling.  I can’t wait to get started, but as always, I’m freaking out about my language skills.  Also, with as busy as I’ve been, I’m not sure I’ll have time for work here.  There are too many other things to do.  I guess that sacrifices will have to be made.  Sorry kids, looks like Physics will have to wait…

PS – Dear sisters, My supply of that provocative concoction you call Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter is acabo.  Thanks for the addiction, so I’ll need more, stat.  This is a life or death matter. I’m not sure I’m patient enough to wait for a package to arrive though, so can an adequate and equally appetizing alternative be fabricated, or am I going to die of a hazelnut butter insufficiency?

2 comments: