Tuesday, January 29, 2013

How’d you like to see my House?





I may have said it before – honestly, I can’t remember – but the house I’m currently living in, even with it inconsistent amenities, is nicer than anything I ever occupied during my tenure as a student living in Boulder.  I am extremely fortunate to have been given such an incredible home to live in.

In Colorado, I moved with every single opportunity I had, never staying in one place longer than a year.  It wasn’t because of crappy housing conditions (albeit I lived in some really crappy houses), I just really like moving. Crazy, I know, but there’s something that really excites me about having the opportunity to create an entirely new, yet comfortable living environment using whatever tools and items are at your disposal.  It’s like being given a blank canvas, and your personal items and whatever is available at the local hardware store are different colors of paint.

In Boulder, I could fill my palate and paint with just about any color I wanted.  A wide-variety of stores, ranging from Target and Costco to Circuit City (RIP) and that place I got parts for my dishwasher one time all provided me with access to just whatever resources I needed (money typically being the only limiting factor).  In Mozambique, it’s a bit of a different story.  Money stills limits what I can buy, but so does the underdeveloped capitalistic society in which in I live.  I have access to the basic colors like black, red and blue, and then sometimes green and yellow if it’s not raining and the roads aren’t flooded.  If I want something that I didn’t bring with me from home, I either have to mix together the colors that I do have to try and make it, or just settle for living without. A lot of the time, you just have to settle.

Over the course of the last two months, I’ve worked hard at making this place my own.  I’m really happy with the results, and although it was already pretty comfortable when I arrived thanks to the electricity, running water, and some nice art that Chris left on the walls, it’s now a place that truly feels like home. 

So, without further ado, I present to you my Casa.

My Veranda out front.
Front Yard...Growing some Grass
Shot of the living room from the front door.
Entering the kitchen from my living room.
Looking back towards the living room.
My sink!
Pantry.  On a good day.
Another shot of the living room.
Spare bedroom.

Looking into the casa de banho from the living room.


Inside the Casa de Banho.
My bedroom!  Observe...storage!

Some Shots of the Machamba:

View of the Machamba from my back door.

My Corn!
Looking back towards my house.

2 comments:

  1. I am sitting here with Szasha and we are SO jellyfish. Not one, not two, but THREE couchy-type things? Man. Hei-de visitar. It's like a palace in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FEEEEELIN the Flag dude. That's a beautiful home. Looking forward to seeing some daily eats... (remember, what's routine for you is now an adventure for everyone out here reading!) Keep up the great stories man... be safe. Proud of you

    ReplyDelete