Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Potential Spontaneous Purchase


According to my sisters, there’s no better way to reward yourself for a job well done, than by doing a little impulsive shopping. But, I think that they were referring to clothing, not a pet monkey.  Today, I was about 500 mets away from buying my first monkey.

Don’t worry, I didn’t end up going through with it…Yet.

I guess word got around the neighborhood that I was in the market for a monkey, and some guy stopped by my house today to tell me that he heard I was looking and had one he was willing to sell.  I was speechless, totally caught off guard.  I was only half-kidding when I had mentioned it to my neighbor a few weeks ago. But, as I’ve had more time to process it, I’ve come to realize the distinct possibility that I may never have this opportunity again. It’s hard to not let that influence my thought process.  I want a monkey.  And I want to be best friends with him.

At first I thought the guy was only calling me over to ask for something (a common occurrence, multiple times each day), so I tried to play dumb and pretend like I didn’t understand what he was saying to me.  But he was persistent, and I’m actually pretty glad he was. When I figured out he was talking about monkeys, he rightfully earned my full attention and understanding (however little understanding that may actually have been). 

I’ve never fought so hard to contain a serious rush of excitement propagating through my body.  Throughout our conversation, I kept drifting off into a day-dream where I was feeding bananas to a cute little monkey that lived in a small house I made for him in the cashew tree behind my house. Must…get…a…grip. 

Those fantasies only got worse when we went to go see him.  Followed by my Army of Criancas, the kids that were hanging out at my house when Tudu the Monkey Guy arrived, we all left and went over to Tudu’s house to inspect his monkey.  He’s cute…sort of.  But, it’s a monkey, and that’s what Important.  As he ran around the guy’s yard, he became a whole lot cuter. Also, his was pretty funny too.  Along the walk, he told me that he named the beast Godzilla, “…like the monkey in that movie that takes the woman.”  I didn’t have the heart to tell him that he was confusing a rampaging monkey for a rampaging giant, radioactive lizard.  At least her got the rampaging part right.

Even knowing I have a history of making reckless decisions when it comes to pets (i.e. Mox the cat, Turtle the turtle), I wanted nothing more than to shove money in this guy’s pockets for his monkey.  But I couldn’t do it.  I managed to defeat my inner child and stand my ground, perhaps proving to myself for the first time that I have the ability to be an adult and make mature decisions.  There comes a point in time when you have to start learning from the mistakes you’ve made in the past.  After all, as my good buddy George Santayana once said, “Those that forget the past, are doomed to repeat it.” That wouldn’t be so bad in this case (Meghan now has the cat and treats him like a prince, while my parents are enjoying the presence of a turtle in their house), but I’m quickly running out of people to just unload my pets onto, and there’s that whole morality thing too.

So, I’m gonna think this one through.  I told him give me four weeks to think about.  I need to keep settling in, I told him; I need to do some research.  First and foremost, I need to make sure I’m not going to be arrested, thrown in Mozambican prison, and featured on locked up abroad just for having this monkey.  He told me that he bought it in the bush, which probably means he caught it one day when he was out there doing whatever it is Mozambican’s do in the bush.  I have no idea what the legal repercussions are for owning a monkey in Mozambique, so that’s first on the list of things to do.  And, on the off chance that he’s part of some endangered species…well, that’s another thing I need to look into. Other things I need to research: what ype of monkey he is, what he eats, how long does he live, is there a doctor I can take him to around here if he gets sick, what type of environment does he like, how much can I expect to spend, can I actually afford to have a monkey, do I have someone that can take care of him when I’m gone (on trips and after I COS in two years…assuming he doesn’t run away to the bush or monkey heaven). There’s a lot I need to do.

I don’t think I’ll end up buying him , but you really never know.  I am kinda of thinking that if it’s only taken me four weeks at site to find a guy willing to sell his monkey, I imagine I’ll have other offers down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment