Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Dear Drunk Guy.



Dear Drunk Guy pedir-ing me for money while offering a sob story about your sick sister-in-law and problems with unemployment,
 
I’m sorry about the current adversity you’re facing.  It sounds like you and your family are really struggling.  It’s a terrible thing having to bear witness to a family member dying a slow and painful death from Malaria right in front of your eyes.  Additionally, I’m terribly sorry that you’ve been unable to find a job since graduating from Secondary School.  It really is an incredible achievement, but I can’t even begin to imagine the frustration you must be feeling after working so hard for so long, for what now seems like something that wasn’t worth the effort.  I can assure you that in the long run, it will pay off. Try to keep your head up, but more importantly, stay active and keep looking for work.  In this country, work isn’t going to find you.

All that said, no I will not be giving you any money to “help your sister-in-law.”  Aside from the fact that I am 115% sure that when you say you want to buy medicine for your sister-in-law and that you actually mean you want money so you can to buy more shitty plastic-bottle gin for yourself, I am not here to give handouts.  I’m here to give lessons.  I’m here to build the latent capacity of you and some of your fellow countrymen currently being misappropriated.  What I’m not here to do is give you money and continue to reinforce any sort of dependency on the wallets of the white man, a humiliating and detrimental repercussion of 400 years of colonial enslavement and more contemporary bunk financial aid. I don’t expect you to understand, it’s nearly impossible for you to comprehend.  After all, you are completely wasted and as a result your brain is only able to function at a fraction of its normal rate. 

It’s not your fault, you didn’t write this whole history fiasco and you certainly aren’t responsible for the cultural shit-storm left behind by a horrific civil war that followed an extensive period of colonization which lasted 400 years too long.  But unfortunately you and I are here now, the by-products of choices that we and our ancestors made long ago, and we have to play the hands that we’ve been dealt.  Yours is certainly much tougher than mine, I’ll give you that.  You’re an unemployed and living in a third world country.  You have no money, a sick family, and an unrecognized problem with alcohol.  The struggles you face that result from just those few conditions far outweigh the struggles I’m currently faced with: trying to learn a new language, adapt to a new culture, and get over the shock of not having unrestricted access to Chipotle.  As I said, my hand is different than yours. 

To say I’ve been fortunate would be an understatement.  If you could see the life I left behind in Bethesda, you’d probably defecate in your pants out of shear shock that I left such a paradisiac lifestyle.  Still, I’m not here to give you money, and I’m sorry if that makes me seem like an asshole. I refuse to conform to the expectation that you and many others have for white men being cash cows, and therefore you will have to struggle with me as I work to adjust this seemingly engrained perception of the white man.  I’m a volunteer, and just because I’m white, it does not mean that I have money. 

Again, I’m sorry for your struggles and hope that once you are sober, maybe we can be friends. 

Until then,

Will

No comments:

Post a Comment