Thursday, November 29, 2012

My Post-Exam Entry…

Well, that wasn’t the disaster I anticipated it to be.  In all actuality, I think I did just fine.  I entered the exam and pretty much just sat down and conversed with one of the Language Professors for about 20 minutes.  We talked about what I liked to do back in the sates, what Colorado was like, how it compares to Namaacha, and what I hope to do for secondary projects while at site.  We finished the session by doing a little role playing.  He gave me a card with a scenario written in English that we would act out.  I was supposed to pretend we were at a market buying some items for dinner.  I was to ask about the items availability and then barter the price.  Just like that, it was all over.  I thanked the professor and said goodbye.

Having been so discouraged this morning, I knew that I needed to shaped up, and do it quickly.  Lucky for me, I knew what I had to do.  Over the course of the last few weeks, I’ve discovered a practical and fun way to get some extra practice with my Portuguese: I shoot-the-shit with my host-brother.  Honestly, it’s actually been pretty helpful, and always seems to provide a huge boost in confidence when I need it.  We joke around, eat mangos, and talk about whatever there is to talk about.  I ask him questions about himself, the machamba, what kids in Mozambique are like, etc.  He’s a nice guy, as friendly as they come, and always seems happy to let me bug him for a while.  Not only do I get the opportunity to get to know him better, but I get some much-needed practice too!

Aside from putting him on display in a picture a few weeks ago (he was sporting my Banana Suit), I don’t think that I’ve given the internet an adequate introduction to him yet. His name is Gerson Armando Sidonio, but the family calls him Mandinho for short.  The nickname means Armando Junior (he’s named after my host-father, who is his grandfather), and this kid is bright.  When I say bright, I mean it by American standards.  If compared side-by-side, he’d blow the typical American 18 year-old out of the water.  It’s almost embarrassing to admit that when I was 18, I wasn’t half the man he is today.  Almost ten years later, I still might not be.  He pretty much runs the house when my host-parents aren’t around (which is a lot), working on the farm, selling the produce, maintaining the house, cleaning, cooking, doing laundry, and studying when he has some free time.  He just recently passed his 12th grade final exams, which means he’s now eligible to register for College.  Next year, he’ll begin studying Electrical Engineering in Maputo, and everyone really couldn’t be prouder of him.  It’s strange, but I’ve learned more from this eighteen year-old kid in ten weeks than from spending sixteen weeks with some college professors.  Needless to say, I owe him a huge thanks for all the help he’s provided me; in preparing for today, in practicing all week, and for spending two months teaching me how to survive in Mozambique.  I only hope that one day I’ll be as eloquent as I’d like to be so I can tell him personally how grateful I am.

Now, with this test behind me, I’m feeling pretty good.  Peace Corps came by today and picked up the first round of luggage in preparation for our big move out of Namaacha. I can’t even begin to describe how excited I am about this (mostly because I’m feeling hangry – hungry and angry – and lazy and don’t want to type any more).  I’m ready to get my life started; I’m ready to start settling in.  Only a few more days till we start moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment