Thursday, January 9, 2014

The River is Starting to Fill Up!

Alan, Armindo, and I took a short field trip to the River today after hearing reports that it was starting to fill up and that they are already using boats to cross.  It had been raining for about a week straight prior to my return to Montepuez, so I was expecting to see big things.  Unfortunately, since getting back from a trip I took to Ilha de Moçambique, the rains had taken a break providing ample time for the runoff to, well, run off.  Still, we were surprised to see just how much change had taken place in such a short period of time.  The former crossing where logs had been laid out was completely submerged, and we even managed to see one of the boats.  I couldn’t believe my eyes.  This “boat” was not much more than a continuous piece of bark.  Whoa.  Check out some of our pictures below!

Looking Up the River.  There's another picture I took once of a bunch of farmers in front of the river.  This is that same shot today without the farmers.

The former crossing where logs had been laid.

A boat made of bark!?

These adventurous souls crossed by foot, but the water came up to their waists when they left that little island.

Our tentative construction site.

No comments:

Post a Comment