Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Really…You’re just gonna let me walk out of here with this $5,000 piece of equipment?

I guess Mozambique is just like that.  They’ll fight you over the price of a single banana, but when it comes to borrowing a $5,000 precision measuring device, you can walk right out the door with it sem problemas. Ok, so maybe it’s a little more complicated than that.

So, I’m at the point where I need to put together a solid estimate of the budget for my bridge project.  Not easy to do.  To accomplish this task, I not only need to get estimates on labor, but I need to figure out materials and how much we’ll need as well.  This involves making a mockup of the bridge, and to make a mock up, I need measurements.  Good ones.

I’ve already identified an adequate site and specific location for the bridge, so that’s half the battle.  A couple of visual and playful soil tests (picture me rolling around in the mud pretending to be a warthog) helped me confirm that the site was suitable for foundations.   I’d gone out there a few weeks before with a 50-Meter measuring tape, some stakes and my counterpart Armindo to try and get some good measurements, but it turned out that the ones we got weren’t good enough.  What I needed to know was the difference in elevation between each side of the river and distances between the potential foundation sites.  The measurements we had taken couldn’t provide me with that.  I needed to go back. But before I could do that, I needed to find some equipment.

I was looking for a tool called an Abney Level.  It’s a little device that allows the user to measure angles. Using a little bit of trig, all you need is a horizontal distance and an angle to build a theoretical triangle and then calculate the difference in elevation between two points.  Exactly what I needed to do.  Easy to use, not too technical and widely available, I was crossing my fingers that someone, somewhere in the city had one.  Then for the first time, Mozambique decided to throw me a bone.

First, I went to the market, then to some of the local hardware stores; then I went to the Government Infrastructure Office before being sent over to the Municipal Services Building. That’s where I got my answer, and I’ve never been so happy to hear no.

“No, we don’t have whatever tool you just described in your shitty Portuguese, but what we do have is this crazy little device called a Total Station.  You can use it to do all the things you just said.  Maybe that’ll work for you?”

Marry me.  No, but really, yes, I want it.  Give it to me. 

I then learned that borrowing it wouldn’t be a problem, so long as I got approval from the city President.  “Well, how do I do that?” I asked. The answer was surprisingly simple. The man in charge told me that I’d have to write a letter describing what I wanted to do (borrow this expensive toy), why I wanted to do it (because I need to measure stuff), and when I needed it (Tuesday), then I’d drop it off at the other Municipal Building where various officials would pass it around until it ended up in the possession of the President who would give final approval.  Apparently, this would only take a day or so to do.

I ran home to start writing, and that’s when Mozambique threw me another bone.  I had been staring at a blank computer screen for about a half hour when my good friend Pedro Undukkus stopped by.  I don’t know if I’ve written about Pedro before, but he’s one of the good guys.  Extremely intelligent, well rounded, and a completely selfless individual, he’s passionate about the development of his country and wants nothing more than to improve the lives of his countrymen.  He’s full of good ideas, has an incredible network, and always wants to help.  And he never asks for anything in return.  Our conversations, which often switch between English and Portuguese (he speaks both, beautifully and fluently), are some of the more intellectually stimulating conversations that I have in this country.  But I digress…Anyways, Pedro arrives and in typical fashion, saves the day.  We talk for a bit before he offers to sit down and help me write my letter.  An hour and a half later, I staring a no longer blank computer screen.

I dropped the letter off on a Wednesday and was told to come back Friday morning.  Unsurprisingly, o senhor still hadn’t had a chance to take a look at it when I got back, but was told that if I came back after lunch, it would be ready for me.  To my surprise, when I returned, I was led into the President's Office where I had the opportunity talk to him directly.  He had read my letter and not only was he going to approve my request, but he wanted to personally tell me how excited he was about the project and how he knew of another site nearby that could use a bridge if everything worked out with this one.

I left the building feeling on top of the world.  Rafael, a neighboring volunteer from Balama who was in town visiting, was waiting outside the office for me.  He offered a nice, strong handshake and a pat on the back.  “Congrats man,” he said it his ever-friendly voice.  “Now let’s go drink some cabanga to celebrate.”

Here are some pictures from the Site Survey:

Me and Armindo with the goods in the back of Alan's Truck.

Classic Mozambique.  If you've got some space, you give it away to someone in need of a lift.  Since the back of Alan's truck was open, we gave about 12 women a ride to Bandari.  They were in Montepuez for a funeral and needed to get back.

Another picture of the Mae's crammed in the back.


Angelo taking some readings.  Good thing he's wearing a hard hat, you know, just in case.


Angelo taking a picture of Alan taking a picture of us. Me confused.


Armindo, happy to be helping out.

This is the current river crossing when the water level is low.  Right now is about as low as it's gonna get and while you could technically walk across the river, there is still a threat of crocodiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment