Friday, September 21, 2012

Lemonade

There’s a motivational saying familiar to American culture that people often hear when they’re in need of a little encouragement: When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. 

With a lip-puckeringly sour taste that lingers on your tongue, the lemons in this expression represent hardship; they represent tough luck and unfortunate circumstances.  Maybe it’s a bad grade you got on your algebra test.  Maybe you fell off your bike, got dumped by your significant other, or got shat on by a bird while you were walking down the street. 

Sometimes it’s more significant than that.  It could be a cycle of uncertainty you can’t seem to escape, the helplessness and vulnerability you feel when something begins to spiral out of control, watching those you care about struggle and being unable to provide any help, experiencing heartache that won’t go away, or consistently failing to overcome the same challenges.

I’ve had quite a few lemons sent me way over the past couple of years.  But instead of being handed over to me, it felt like they were launched at me.  And when I got hit, it hurt pretty bad.  Some of the bruises that resulted will never go away

The lemonade in this expression – and the sugar that it contains – represents a positive byproduct of the symbolic adversity. For example, maybe that poor grade motivated you to study harder; maybe you improved your ability to ride a bike, ended up with a cooler person, or…well, I dunno…I’m not sure how to improve the bird shit situation.  That stuff kinda just happens.  Tough shit (pun).

Peace Corps is my lemonade.  It’s a delectable concoction of all my life experience; the good, the bad, and the ugly.  It contains my successes and failures, the lessons I’ve learned and the knowledge gained along the way.  It’s the pain that I’ve felt, the confusion and the frustration, but it’s also the joy in life that has helped me preserve.  The mixture’s been stirred by the people I’ve met and the conversations I’ve had with them.  They’ve added their support and their love, as well as their positive and negative feedback.

And just as the drink is both sour and sweet, so to will be my experience. Over the next 27 months, I’ll ride an emotional rollercoaster through the trials and tribulations of leaving behind a luxurious, first world lifestyle, and adopting one from the third world.  I'll have the opportunity to meet new people, become ingrained in a new culture, grow both personally and professional, and learn a new language...among other things (there are a lot of other things).  

The last couple years have been tough; perhaps as an adjustment to the first 24 being such a smooth ride.  But just like the aforementioned idiom suggests, when life hands (or throws…) you lemons, you’ve gotta make some lemonade.  

This picture is not relevant.

2 comments:

  1. Lauren your best friendNovember 6, 2012 at 1:51 AM

    In my family we say when life hands you lemons make a margarita ( Finan family motto are you surprised?!). I am so proud of you Will for being so brave and adventurous to go and do something so out of your element. I am not sure what you will be doing over there but all the people you meet and the people you help will be that much more blessed by getting to meet you. Whenever I eat a new food or travel to a new place I always take the thought of you with me. The best is when I end up arguing with someone just to be reminded of you and how you are are oh so good at pushing my buttons haha. Anyways not trying to be overly sappy. I just want you to know that I take you with me wherever I go. I have a sneaking suspicion that the next 2 years will fly by with lots of weddings and maybe even some additions to the group in baby form. Live it up out there and just know that we are all rooting for you and sending you love. I am here if you ever need me or want to start an irrelevant argument.

    I love you with all my heart Will Zweig!!!!

    PS: I love your blog because I can imagine your voice when I read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will,
    The temperature reached 95 degrees in Denver today and for some reason I just discovered this blog. Have the stars crossed? Probably. I'm stoked to read your stories and the words you pour like a pitcher offering a taste of your life over. My ears are empty glasses and I can feel you, crystal clear.

    Miss ya man!

    ReplyDelete